Thursday, July 2, 2015

"All the Light We Cannot See" - Anthony Doerr

Hello fellow bibliophiles! Happy Early Birthday to America! While I am sure many of you will be out celebrating on what looks like will be a nice weekend, I will be here, sending you reviews upon reviews! I'm sure you are all looking forward to BBQ's, fireworks, and a few tasty adult beverages but I happily have NO work and NO plans for once! I am perfectly content with this and plan to spend majority of it on a blanket in the park reading the large stack of books awaiting on my coffee table!

First up is All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr which has been a huge hit since its release and was a Goodreads choice winner in 2014. I was finally able to get my hands on a copy from my local library and it did not disappoint! I was transfixed by page 11 and did not put it down until I finished. The story follows two main characters throughout the latter half of WW2 in Germany and France. Marie-Laure is a blind girl living with her father in Paris who's world is turned upside down when they have to flee to the seaside town of Saint-Malo to live with her great-uncle. The other main character is Werner, an orphan in a German mining town who is transfixed by radios and becomes a self taught fixer/builder of said radios leading him to an academy for Hitler Youth and eventual a soldier in the war. The very short chapters go back and forth between their lives in both past and present until they eventually converge in Saint-Malo.

Other smaller characters also are followed throughout the book and play important parts from start to end which I really liked. If you have read of my previous reviews, you will know that I am a fan of books that go back and forth between time periods. That said, I did not think it was necessary in this book. If the story was wrote in chronological order, I think it would have had the same affect and meaning. I find books wrote during this time period enchanting. There is always another side to see, another view point to take, and more to learn. For Marie-Laure, she struggles to trust what she cannot see while Werner struggles to trust what he can see. The way they both think is so similar yet completely different and still they are drawn together in a way neither could see coming. I did really like this book and do recommend it. That said, I don't think it is as great as everyone has been saying. Maybe it is because I have recently read the Nightingale by Kristin Hannah (see review here) which is set in the same time period. That book was UNBELIEVABLE and it can be hard to not compare books with similar premises. Still, two completely different books, both great in their own right. Check out both books. You won't be disappointed! As always, feel free to share any comments, recommendations, or suggestions! Check back this weekend as I have 5-6 more reviews to post!

Happy reading fools :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing feedback and your thoughts on the book!