Sunday, July 19, 2015

"That Summer" - Lauren Willig

Hello fellow bibliophiles! Second review for the day is ready to go! This week in addition to Yes Please by Amy Poehler, I also finished a book by one of my favorite authors, Lauren Willig. I have been a fan of Willig's ever since I randomly picked up The Secret History of the Pink Carnation while perusing the bargain books at Barnes and Noble. I was instantly enthralled with the series and have been a diligent reader since. As that series has been coming to an end, Willig has been branching out and writing stand alone fiction books that are just as amazing. I love her writing! I am constantly recommending her books to friends, colleagues, random strangers :)  If you have read any of my previous reviews, you know I am a fan of books that tell two, entertwining stories between the past and present. Willig is the queen of this. She also writes strong, female main characters which is always a positive in my opinion!

That Summer by Lauren Willig tells the story of present day Julia, living in NYC, who inherits a house in Herne Hill, England, a place she has not been to since her mother died when she was 5. The other half of the story is set in the 1840's with Imogen Grantham who lives at Herne Hill, dealing with decisions that have not always ending the way she was hoping. While Julia is trying to remember the past she has worked so hard to forget, Imogen is struggling to deal with right, wrong, and virtues with the hear. The whole book also has a center around art. Artists, paintings, mysterious pictures, and lives as art historians in both the past and the present. The reader is lead on a journey of self discovery, love, and trust through twists and turns that leave the you wanting for more. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Another home run for Lauren Willig! Make sure to check out her other books. I will be posting a throwback review for you later this week about her Pink Carnation series!

As always, feel free to share any recommendations, opinions, or suggestions! I'd love to hear from you!

Happy reading fools :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing feedback and your thoughts on the book!