Saturday, August 1, 2015

"The Maze Runner" - James Dashner

Hello again fellow bibliophiles! I have been a busy reader today and have another review for you! To make things clear, I'm not the type of person to jump on the band wagon of popular books. If a new book comes out and people are going on and on about how great of a book it is, I won't read it. I know, I'm weird. I prefer to swim against the current instead of with it :) That being said, there are times when I give in and read a book everyone is raving about. And that leads us to the book for today. I never read the Maze Runner series by James Dashner when it came out and I didn't have any interest when the movie came out last year. I guess you could say the tides have changed.

A couple weeks ago I was flipping through the new movies on HBO when I noticed The Maze Runner. I wasn't that interested but I thought why not. I. LOVED. IT. So much that the moment the movie was over, I watched the trailer for the next one 3 times, logged onto my library website, checked out e-copies of all the books, and instantly started reading.

Dear James Dashner,
I'm sorry it took me so long to discover your incredible series. Please forgive me.
                                                 Your forever faithful reader, Kala.

The book was great. Sometimes fantasy/post-apocalyptic books can be all over the place. A lot are good while others fall short. I really liked the general idea and premise for the story. Kids thrown together on their own, given basic supplies and necessities but left to survive and figure things out on their own, doing all that they can to escape and live while being surrounded by a maze that seems to have no exit. And then one day, all things changed. A girl arrives with a message that no more supplies will arrive. The only thing to do is to find way out and survive. It's hard to give you any more than that without giving anything away! I do wish I would have read the book before watching the movie. I can't believe I am going to say this but there were parts of the movie that I liked better than the book. From the start, there are some big differences, but nothing that makes the story change. I actually liked the beginning of the movie better than I liked the beginning of the book. The ending of the book though gives a lot more detail into the story of the world and why these kids were put into the trials. I've already started the next book and cannot wait for the movie to come out this fall! I highly recommend the series! As always, feel free to share any comments, suggestions, or recommendations.

Happy reading fools :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing feedback and your thoughts on the book!