Sunday, August 16, 2015

"An Ember In The Ashes" - Sabaa Tahir

Hello fellow bibliophiles! I hope everyone has had a great weekend. I have a page turner for you with "An Ember in the Ashes" by Sabaa Tahir. This book was unbelievable! I originally had my doubts when I began hearing about this book on various outlets that provide advanced reader's copies to reviewers. Boy was I wrong! First off, let me just say that this book is the first book in a series. I, the ill-informed reader, did not know this until I was reading the last word and literally yelled. What. A. Cliffhanger. You've been forewarned fellow readers!

"Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free. Under Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Empire risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear. 

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire's impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They've seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia's older brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from the rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire's greatest military academy. 

There, Laia meets Elias, the school's finest soldier - and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he's being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined - and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself. "

What a about a description! While I did find the beginning of the book a bit difficult to follow due to the amount of information given, (new worlds, caste, ranks, names) it was impossible to put down after the first 40 or so pages. Tahir writes the book from both Laia and Elias's perspectives, switching back and forth between the two. I liked being able to see the two different sides and while they were raised completely different, they have similar views and ideas. Tahir gives depth to all of the characters and does a great job of bringing their two stories together all the while keeping the reader holding on by a thread, grasping for more. Great start to a new young adult series. Perfect for ages 12 and up. I cannot wait for the next book!

As always, feel free to share any comments, suggestions, or recommendations! I'd love to hear your feedback and thoughts on the book!

Happy reading fools :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing feedback and your thoughts on the book!