Tuesday, June 16, 2015

"Big Little Lies" - Liane Moriarty

Hello fellow bibliophiles! I hope you are all off to a great start this week! A few weeks ago I picked up the last copy at my local B&N of Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. I finally had a chance to start it Sunday night and could not put it down. 460 pages done in 2 days. While the book is an easy read, it also contains multiple deeper issues plaguing society today that are often kept hidden below the surface by those involved.

"Big Little Lies is a brilliant take on ex-husbands and second wives, mothers and daughters, schoolyard scandal, and the dangerous little lies we tell ourselves just to survive." 
                                                                                       - Goodreads.com-

The book centers around three main mothers - Jane, Celeste, and Madeline. Each has their own secrets that they are trying to live through and deal with, each in their own way. What I liked most about the book is the way Moriarty hints at the "victim" in the story but once you think you have it figured out who that is, she throws you a loop and leads you in a completely different direction. Moriarty tells the story bouncing back between Jane, Celeste, and Madeline in the past before the school fundraiser but also includes small segments that are in the present reading like are part of an interrogation. Those segments come from smaller characters in the book but are quite funny at times in their descriptions of different incidents that play out in the story. Moriarty also brings to the light issues that parents face when raising children as well as issues in marriage from ex-husbands to domestic violence, all issues that on the surface, no one may see. There is a comedic air to the book that I found hilarious at times and often caught myself laughing out loud. I loved it. Like I said before, I could not put it down. Great book. I highly recommend it! As always, feel free to share any recommendations, suggestions, or comments.

Happy reading fools :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing feedback and your thoughts on the book!