Tuesday, February 9, 2016

"Me Before You" - Jojo Moyes

Hello fellow bibliophiles! I'm going off the Unfinished Series themes a little with this book but I couldn't resist picking it up. And if we want to get technical about it, there is a second book to this one! Jojo Moyes has become pretty popular lately and even more now with this book, Me Before You, as it is being released as a movie this summer. (The trailer looks AMAZING!) I wasn't sure if I had read anything else by Moyes before but thanks to my obsessive use of Goodreads, I saw that I read The Girl You Left Behind a couple of years ago and remembered how much I enjoyed that book. This was just as good!

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in the Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time. 

This book is phenomenal on so many levels. The writing? Relatable, emotional, realistic, amazing. The characters? Developed, layered, contemplative, determined, witty, and passionate. Lou, a pragmatic, bubbly, and determined twenty-seven-year-old loses her small-town job without any notice. This leads to her employment for Will Traynor. Will is a strong-willed, sarcastic, quadriplegic, who cannot move from the next down and needs round-the-clock assistance. Complete opposites to say the least. At first, neither one of them realizes the impact they are going to have on each other or the effect they will have on their lives. I could always picture exactly what was happening in the book. It's an absolutely, breath-taking story. I cannot write enough adjectives to describe this book. Most of the book is from Lou's point-of-view but every so often there is a chapter from someone else's view including Nathan, Will's male carer, Steven, Will's dad, and other family members from both Will and Lou's family. The book brings to light the subject of Right to Die which is ever present in our world today. It's a heated discussion no matter what side you may be on or what your thoughts on the subject are. Everyone has a right to their own opinions so let's avoid arguments and leave it at that. It's a beautiful book. I absolutely devoured it from the moment I picked it up. I know you'll do the same. While I know the books are always better than the movies, I am anxiously awaiting the release this summer. The actors are cast exactly how I pictured them. And I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book, After You. As always, feel free to share any thoughts, comments, or suggestions! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Happy reading fools :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing feedback and your thoughts on the book!