Wednesday, January 13, 2016

"My Life on the Road" - Gloria Steinem

Hello fellow bibliophiles! We're halfway through the Clean Slate Read-a-thon, I hope you're keeping up! Today's review marks the third I finished this week for the challenge. My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem was a last minute change-up on my reading plan for the week. I had planned to read an ARC I had from Netgalley but forgot to get it downloaded and unfortunately, it was archived. Whoops! Then I heard about Emma Watson (aka Hermoine Granger)'s new book club on Goodreads and had to join in on that! (Details at the bottom) It just so happened that the first book, My Life on the Road, was published last year so I threw it in the challenge in place of the other. Thanks Emma!

Gloria Steinem—writer, activist, organizer, and one of the most inspiring leaders in the world—now tells a story she has never told before, a candid account of how her early years led her to live an on-the-road kind of life, traveling, listening to people, learning, and creating change. She reveals the story of her own growth in tandem with the growth of an ongoing movement for equality. This is the story at the heart of My Life on the Road.

What I wouldn't get to spend a day listening to her tell stories. I was hooked from the prelude. I started suggesting the book to others before I was even finished with the prelude! Gloria Steinem, you're a true force to be reckoned with. You made my soul ache even more for a wanderlust lifestyle. I want to travel more and learn more and meet all the incredible people you talk about who are smarter than I can ever imagine being! The book is very candid and simplistic; sometimes I didn't think it was always laid out in the best format or timeline of events, but I still hung on to every word. There were two sections that I enjoyed the most. Steinem telling stories from talking with cab drivers across the country and her section on political campaigns. And hold onto your hats for the last chapter about her friend Wilma. Oh my, oh my. Wilma Mankiller, I wish I could have known you even if it was just to shake your hand and say hello. Your concepts and thoughts are something I cannot even describe. 

Go read this book. Don't walk to get it, run. It's something that will lead to new thoughts and ideas, changes in our world. Steinem has been making waves and taking steps for years and years towards change. It's time to make a jump.

As always, feel free to share your thoughts, comments, or suggestions! I'd love to hear what you thought of the book! If you would like to check out Emma Watson's book club through Goodreads, CLICK HERE! Below is her description for the book club, Our Shared Shelf:

"As part of my work with UN Women, I have started reading as many books and essays about equality as I can get my hands on. There is so much amazing stuff out there! Funny, inspiring, sad, thought-provoking, empowering! I’ve been discovering so much that, at times, I’ve felt like my head was about to explode… I decided to start a Feminist book club, as I want to share what I’m learning and hear your thoughts too." -Emma Watson-

Happy reading fools :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing feedback and your thoughts on the book!